Summary of law application and minor law amendments:
Links are available to laws website, videos can be seen on you tube and/or downloaded from we transfer.
1. Law application introduced on June 1st, 2016 http://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=9
Law 17 – Maul: The ball can be moved backwards hand-to-hand once the maul has formed. A player is not allowed to move/slide to the back of the maul when that player is in possession of the ball.
2. Minor law amendments introduced on July 1st, 2016
3.5 FRONT ROW – REPLACEMENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=3.5
Law 3.5 has been rewritten as was over complicated and repetitious, which makes it difficult to follow and implement.
3.12 SUBSTITUTED PLAYERS REJOINING THE MATCH http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=3.12
Add a further bullet to 3.12
If a player is substituted, that player may only return to play when replacing:
• an injured front row player in accordance with Law 3.5
• a player with a blood injury in accordance with Law 3.10
• a player undertaking a Head Injury Assessment in accordance with Law 3.11.
• a player who has been injured as a result of foul play (as verified by the Match Officials)
6.C ADDITIONAL PERSONS http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=6.C.2
• Merge 6.C.2 and 6.C.3 to read:
• In the case of injury, only the match doctor and/or the non-playing members of the team who are medically trained (only qualified Doctors or Physiotherapists) may enter the playing area while play continues.
• The other non-playing members of the team may enter the playing area while play continues, provided they have permission from the referee. Otherwise, they enter only when the ball is dead. Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make any comments to the match officials.
8.3 (d), (e) and (f) WHEN THE ADVANTAGE LAW IS NOT APPLIED http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=8.3
8.3 When the advantage law is not applied
• Delete: (d) Collapsed scrum. Advantage must not be applied when a scrum collapses. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
• (e) becomes (d)
• Amend: Player lifted in the air. Advantage must not be applied when a player in a scrum is lifted in the air or forced upwards and has no support on the ground out of the scrum. The referee must blow the whistle immediately.
10.3 (b) REPEATED INFRINGEMENTS http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=10.3
Amend Law 10.3. Delete final sentence of Law 10.3(b)
• (b) Repeated infringements by the team. When different players of the same team repeatedly commit the same offence, the referee must decide whether or not this amounts to repeated infringement. If it does, the referee gives a general warning to the team and if they then repeat the offence, the referee cautions and temporarily suspends the guilty player(s). If a player of that same team then repeats the offence the referee sends off the guilty player(s). Sanction: Penalty kick
10.2 UNFAIR PLAY http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=10.2
• Add: (d) A player must not commit any act that may lead the match officials to consider that that player was subject to foul play or any other type of infringement committed by an opponent.Sanction: Penalty kick
12 THROW FORWARD http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=12&i=111
• Amend: A throw forward occurs when a player throws or passes the ball forward, i.e. if the arms of the player passing the ball move Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.
19.10 (h) OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN A LINE OUT http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19.10
• Blocking the throw-in. A lineout player must not stand less than 5 meters from the touchline. A lineout player must not No player may block the throw-in or prevent the ball from travelling 5 metres.
20.1 (d) FORMING A SCRUM http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20.1
• No delay. A team must not intentionally delay forming a scrum. A team must be ready for the referee to call “crouch” within 30 seconds from the time the referee makes the mark for the scrum.Sanction: Free Kick
20.1 (f) FORMING A SCRUM http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20.1
• Amend: Front rows coming together. First, the referee marks with a foot the place where the scrum is to be formed. Before the two front rows come together they must be standing not more than an arm’s length apart. The ball is in the scrum half’s hands, ready to be thrown in. The front rows must crouch so that when they meet, each player’s head and shoulders are no lower than the hips. The front rows must interlock ear against ear so that no player’s head is next to the head of a team-mate. Sanction: Free Kick
20.11 (b) SCRUM WHEELED http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20.11
• “20.11(b) This new scrum is formed at the place where the previous scrum ended. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage. If neither team win possession, The ball is thrown in by the team that previously threw it in.”
20.10 (d) ENDING THE SCRUM http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20.10
New clause 20.10(d)
• When the attacking team has the ball at Number 8’s feet, and is trying to get the shove on, but not obtaining any go-forward, the referee will call “use-it” once the ball has been at 8’s feet for a reasonable amount of time to permit the work towards a shove. (3-5 seconds). The attacking team must then use the ball immediately.
20.12 (c) OFFSIDE AT THE SCRUM http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=20.12
• When a team has won the ball in a scrum, the scrum half of the opposing team is offside if that scrum half steps in front of the ball with either foot while the ball is still in the scrum. This scrum-half may not move into the space between the flanker and No. 8 when following the ball through the scrum.
21.2 (a) WHERE PENALTY AND FREE KICKS ARE TAKEN http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=21.2
• The kicker must take the penalty or free kick at the mark or anywhere behind it on a line through the mark. If the place for a penalty or free kick is within 5 metres of the opponent’s goal line, the mark for the kick is 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.
Law application (maul): https://we.tl/LfGUYfV9oC
Minor law amendments: https://we.tl/8AfuAPQ5Sk
Please wait as the server processes your request. Do not attempt to refresh the page.